Sometimes the shape and size of the breast are correct, or sometimes the breast must be raised, enlarged, or reduced. But in addition to this, the areola and the nipple have abnormalities in their size, position, or shape.
- Hypertrophic nipple: it is an abnormally large nipple, which is usually genetic after the development of the breast or after breastfeeding due to the suckling of the baby.
- Inverted nipple: anomaly of breast development, in which there is a fibrous tissue that pulls the nipple inwards, preventing it from coming out. In addition to the aesthetic alteration that it produces, it generates sensitivity problems and problems when breastfeeding the baby.
- Large areola: the normal size of an areola is around 4.5cm in diameter.
Surgery can be performed in isolation in order to correct a particular condition with local anesthesia, or it can be performed in conjunction with any type of breast surgery. The surgery is performed when said distortion generates an aesthetic discomfort to the patient that decreases her self-esteem, that hinders her relationships due to the alteration in sensitivity or that she cannot breastfeed her baby.
In cases where the surgery is performed isolated, it is usually performed under local anesthesia:
- Inverted nipple: In surgery, the internal fibrosis that retracts the nipple is eliminated, in addition to other maneuvers so that the nipple, once outside, does not retract to its initial position.
- Hypertrophic nipple (very large): Its size is reduced leaving a scar at the base of it, invaluable. It does not alter sensitivity or breastfeeding.
- Large areola: The size is reduced to a more generic measure of 4.5cm in diameter. We perform a special technique, which maintains the size in a more durable way, preventing it from widening after surgery.
The realization of this type of intervention must be performed by a plastic surgeon with experience in breast surgery. Dr. Ospina dedicates part of his surgical activity to breast reconstruction, which gives him a great understanding of the anatomy and shape of the breast.
If only the nipple or areola are intervened, the surgery can be done in the small surgery room of our facility.
If it is associated with breast surgery, then it must be performed in a hospital that meets all health requirements and has an intensive care unit. Cosmetic surgery is a very regulated surgery with fewer complications, but in case they appear, it is essential to have the support of a good hospital. Hence, low-cost surgeries try to save money on this and are performed in small clinics where these safety conditions are not covered.
It is normal to feel some discomfort in the intervened area, but it improves quickly with painkillers and in the first days. You can carry out your work activity from the first week and sports from the second or third, depending on the case and the surgery performed.
CAN I BREASTFEED MY BABY LATER?
Depending on the type of surgery, it may be altered to a greater or lesser extent, although it is generally preserved. We will discuss this in the consultation to make the best possible decision.